Tuesday, November 11, 2008

snow days


i remember one particular snow day when i was in the 4th grade. i wasn't supposed to go to school because we were going up to pierre to visit dad in the legislature. it was snowing like mad and mom decided not to make the drive. however, school was NOT dismissed and although i was going to be at least 2 hours late for school and no one was expecting me, mom made me go. and she made me walk, it being too dangerous to drive (but apparently fine for a 4th grader to walk the whole way across town).

i remember trudging through the snow from our house on the west side of town, dragging my feet, dreading getting there so late. by the time i got there, i had myself pretty upset and worried about being several hours late. i think i was pretty much in tears by the time arrived. i remember that mrs. petersen said my being late was no problem, they hadn't been expecting me anyway, thinking i was going to pierre.

i wonder why school wasn't let out with all that snow that day? they always said that if mr. walker could see his black house across the street from his office then it wasn't snowy enough to call off school. i suppose he could still see it that day, tho' it was apparently too snowy for mom to drive me across town.

p.s. the picture above isn't from that day, it's from a couple of weeks ago when i was in oslo. it was just the snow picture i had at hand.

No comments: